At The Fresh Sourdough Express we have set a high standard for genuine friendly service and outstanding food since 1982. The quality of the food we serve is reflected by our core values and we choose to hire personnel that embrace these principles. We founded the FSDE on the notion that the food we eat is a gift from nature produced by farmers so that we may be nourished. The ecological value of most food we eat in our current society has been eroded by factory farming and mass produced products. At the FSDE we work hard to source and provide our customers with the freshest ethical food possible. We strive to stand true to our mission, purpose and commitments and value our employee input.
We are dedicated to delivering passion-packed goodness and earthly wisdom in each and every bite.
Nutritional rich choices and decadent delights
What has always set the FSDE apart from other establishments is out commitment to sustainability since 1982. We are the first green bakery & cafe in Alaska and it is important to convey this message to our clientele in such a way that they will appreciate the extra efforts we all put forward and that they will support other food service establishments striving to make a difference.
Mission * Dedication * Commitment
Our MISSION is to broaden awareness, through a sensory experience, of the integral part that food plays in our well-being, deepening our understanding of how every aspect of the food choices we make affect us and the planet we share.
Our DEDICATION: A Soil to Soul Approach. We offer rich, regional, and organic food, supporting the local economy with least negative impact on the environment, while giving diners a healthy, positive and memorable experience. Serving wonderful, healthy food with “Peace and Love.”
Our COMMITMENT to prioritize your health and the health of the planet by serving food that is good for both you and the planet. Since 1982 we have been doing our best to help make the food service industry more palatable, not just good tasting but better for the environment and your health.
The carbon foot print of a restaurant is HUGE, but does it have to be? The restaurant industry consumes 1/3 of all U.S. energy used by the retail sector, and is five times more energy intensive than other retail, office and lodging industries. The average restaurant produces 100,000 pounds of garbage per year!
Each year Americans will throw away 25,000,000,000 Styrofoam cups. Even 500 years from now, the foam coffee cup used this morning will be sitting in a landfill. This number does not count the questionable compostable cups and various to-go containers. At least 1 in 4 people eat some type of fast food every day.
Americans consume 31% more packaged food than fresh food. Healthiness of the food we eat decreases by 1.7% for every hour that passes in the day. 20% of all American meals are eaten in the car. Americans spend 10% of their disposable income on fast food every year and the waste from these meals are not going anywhere fast except adding to the mountains of gross consumer trash and an unhealthy country.In order to reduce our impact as a restaurant, we proudly
- Inspire and educate our staff
- Use organic when feasible
- Use only humanely grown meat
- Pre-cycle, recycle, reduce & reuse
- Strive to be a ZERO Waste operation
- Compost food scraps with local farmers
- Use earth-friendly disposable products. We never use Styrofoam
- Use non-toxic cleaning products as much as possible
- Use energy-efficient equipment & lighting
- Use low-flow plumbing
- Implement methods of pollution prevention
- Support outreach and education regarding sustainable business practices
WE MAKE IT WE BAKE IT
It’s Our Ingredients That Make the Difference
We take pride in bringing you the finest quality food. Here are some things we thought you might like to know:
- Organic Bread: We grind our grain daily
- Our Baked Goods: Baked fresh daily from scratch with organic sugar, eggs, and flour — gluten-free options available
- Recipes: A combination of Donna & Kevin’s imagination and the many skilled associates who have worked here over the years. The distinguished palate of our local customers has helped us to perfect our recipes.
- Organic Coffee: Since the availability of organic coffee in the early ’80s, the Fresh Sourdough Express prides itself on featuring this socially-responsible high quality beverage.
- Organic AH!LASKA Cocoa & Chocolate Syrup: Our very own sister brand, now nationally recognized as the #1 organic cocoa and chocolate syrup. For a fantastic taste sensation, try an AH!LASKA Mocha or chocolate milk shake and many other signature drinks and desserts using these delicious products. They are available in health food stores and specialty markets nationwide. cocoa is available in health food stores and specialty markets nationwide.
- Homemade Organic Cereals: We take pride in offering you our homemade healthy Caribou Crunch Granola, or our hot and hearty Musher’s Mush Cereal.
- Our Homemade Pico de Gallo, Sauces and Salad Dressings: For years, we have been recognized for our flavorful specialty sauces, dressings and fresh chunky Pico de Gallo, all made from scratch using the best ingredients.
- Wild Alaskan Sustainable Seafood: Visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Sea Watch website
- Humanely Raised Meats, All With No Nitrates: We have made a commitment to only use animals products that have been raised humanely and mostly organic
- Our Vegetables & Potatoes: For years, we have been supporting local organic farmers and producers
- Vegan & Vegetarian: Offered daily!
- Build-Your-Own-Meal Menu: Here you will find many options to customize your meal to account for any dietary requirement
Our Win-Win Management Style
We stand true to our ‘win-win management style,’ which is geared toward building better individuals. Much like the web of life in nature, we work together with our staff and focus on the importance that each individual plays in maintaining a high performance working environment. We take the time to train the staff about the importance of genuine and kind service and educate each employee on the benefits of producing and serving the highest quality food that is healthy for both the customers and the planet.
“Our Staff Works With Us Not For Us”
We are proud to be the First Eco-Friendly Restaurant in Alaska.
We continue to demonstrate our commitment to being socially responsible as we make the necessary changes to our establishment as solutions become available to the industry. Statistics show the dining industry accounts for 10% of the U.S. economy and is the number one consumer of electricity in the retail sector. Through responsible business practices, we have seen the results that small changes in everyday operations can make in creating a big difference in reducing our overall carbon footprint.